Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The Quickest Night of Poker - Ever!

10$ NL
First hand at Bodog on the BB, dealt Kh 10h. There’s a raise to 3 x bb and 6 players call. I already have 1 forced bet in and the odds for a call are obvious.
Flop is Ah Qh Jd.
I’ve flopped the nut straight, and also the nut flush draw (and royal draw). I bet 2 x BB, hoping for a raise by the pre-flop raiser. There’s a raise to another 4 bb and 3 call along with me. I check the turn (2s) and a 5 x bb bet is raised to 15 x bb by me, just 2 callers.
Now maybe the correct play here was to put the guy all in, he clearly has a hand, but there is also player 3 to keep in the hand. Maybe I could get burnt here if he has trips or two pair, which could turn into a full house on the river – but I am trying to maximise my winnings without giving cheap draws.
The river is a 3h so the nuts I flopped just got even stronger. I move all in and both players call.
One also has a flush, and the other had flopped a set of Jacks.
I move from 10$ to 27$.

Fold, Fold, Fold, Fold, Fold, Fold, then AQ

I raise to 8 x bb and get 2 callers. Flop is Q 10 3 so I bet the pot. Once caller, one raises double my bet. I call and so does player 2. Turn is 7, I bet half the pot, other 2 call. River was a 7, I bet 5$ and two call. The raiser has JJ, the 2nd player KQ.
Tough for the KQ to get away from the hand, you could argue, in a 3 handed game with a Q high flop you gotta think you’d be favourite more often than not. JJ was crazy play in my opinion. There’s an argument for a raise if my history had shown that I would’ve bet the same with AK (no match) so he though he was ahead. But my bet on the turn indicated I had something better that 2nd pair.

I move from 27$ to 49$

Then I think, ‘you’ve done well tonight, Mark’.
OK, this is 10$ buy in and not the highest stakes, but you’ve returned a profit of 4 times your buy in. I clicked the ‘sit out next hand’ and thought for a few minutes. If I finished the night 40$ up, I’d be quite pleased with my play, so why play on?

So, in a never-seen-before level of self-control and discipline, I shut down my laptop and put poker away for the night having only played 8 hands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home