Monday, April 30, 2007

BritBlogger 6

You probably guessed already, from the last post, that at last my amazing poker skills have been deservedly rewarded with a sweeping victory at the BritBlogger 6 tournament last night!! Only joking, of course.
I actually had a strategy! This may come as a surprise to many, but I had actually thought out a plan. These Blogger tournies have been pretty tight, most players have a good regard for each other, and raises are respected and good play expected. I began a period of raising from late position with any two cards, if there was only 1 caller before me, and the blinds to come. I showed a few of raises with 6 2, 10 4 and K4, stealing quite a few from Resident Evil, who by the 6 2 hand, I think realised what I was doing, and commented in the chat. It was pretty tight from then on.

It started well with winning a couple of hands early on to double my stack. I hovered around the 4k mark for a while, dipped down to the 2k mark and then back up to just over 5k as we hit the final table.
I’m not one for remembering every hand, but there were a few that stuck out. My A9 taking down the Milkman’s Q2. Mik had been in the top 3 for a while but ran into Kat’s flush (I think) which severely depleted him, and I took his remaining chips when he pushed on the BB. I was thinking at this point that, at least I got my money back, as I was sure there was a bounty on his head. Alas this was not to be, but better was to come.
After building my stack quite nicely with a few steals and re-raises, it was down to 4. Cloud, Acorn, Kat and myself were left – and there was going to be a new champion, whoever won.
I was on the big blind, Kat and Acorn folded and Cloud pushed. I had AJ. Hmmmmm. Fold. Then, next BB the same thing happened. This time I call and Cloud turns over 77. The J on the flop meant I was in the money and poor Cloud was the bubble boy.
To his credit, he stayed around till the end, and even had a ‘Bubble Boy’ banner on his blog within minutes!
Then it was 3. And this was probably my worse hand of the night, and luckiest. Kat flat called, Acorn folded the small blind and I checked with 8 5.
The flop came out 8 high. I put Kat (with no pre flop raise) on a higher, unpaired hand and bet about 2k in chips. She had about 5k and pushed all in. I thought for a few seconds, checking my stack (12k) and hers before deciding that a call was almost inevitable.
The 5 hit the turn as Kat’s cards were shown. KK. Oops.
I took a bit of stick from Kat for this, and observers too, but a little luck is needed in these tournies, and looking back over previous winner’s blogs, there seems to be one or two of these along the way. By way of another apology, I've added a link to her blog :-)

So, it was heads up. Acorn v Mias_dad. Actually, it was Zagga v Spid (Mias_dad was already taken at Poker Stars). A few observers added to the tension by making it an England v Scotland game, and reminding me that last time at Wembley, Scottish fans made off with the goalposts. Previous winner Al Eleven turned up towards the end to wish his Countryman ‘good luck’ and I felt a little unpopular as his many hoards of fans cheered him on.
After a lot of backing and to-ing, the first confrontation. I was ahead with around 17k in chips, Acorn about 7k and he pushed when I was holding 66. Was this my moment, or did he have a genuine hand. I wished him good luck and called. He turned over Texas Dolly, 10 2. A brief moment passed my eyes before a 10 hit the flop and I thought this was the beginning of the end.
Next hand I had KQ sooted and raised about 4 x BB, Acorn pushed and I called. I don’t actually remember what he had, think it was a mid pair, but I was delighted when the K hit the flop and I was back where I was a few hands earlier.
After a few more pushes from Acorn, uncalled, I finally had a hand I could call with. Acorn pushed with 5 6 and I held AK and called. The K on the flop secured it for me, though the 6 on the turn meant for a few nervous moments before the river hit.

Overall, a great game and I look forward to defending my crown next week! In fact, after a few more weeks – maybe we should have a ‘Champion of Champions’ Tourny?

8 Comments:

At 7:52 PM, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Congrats again mate!Well done on taking it down!

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger Juice said...

lets keep the title south of the border eh :-)

 
At 12:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shame I missed the game, well done taking it down, even for an Englishman ;)

I'd be happy to play a champ of champs tourny but I think I want two seats to give me a chance :)

Looking forward to the next game and hopefully I'll be able to make it this Sunday.

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger Juice said...

Miami Trout: Acorn says you need seats not because of your two wins but because of your love handles. Im sure it can be arranged!We are an equal opportunities tournament!

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger MiasDaddy said...

Thanks Mark - look forward to seeing you Sunday.

Acorn talking about MM's love handles. Now I'm very afraid.

 
At 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GREAT WIN! The title is all yours, until I take it next week!!!


hehe

BM

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Only talking about them in Juices warped fantasies!

I worry about what that lad keeps under his matress.

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger Juice said...

Its a bloody shot gun and you better start running!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home