Saturday, August 05, 2006

The Season is Nearly Upon Us.

With all due respect to our friends north of the border, today and next week see the proper football seasons kick off (sorry, Acorn).
All over the country this morning, fans woke up with excitement, faith, promise and great optimism for the season ahead. They will have probably met in the pub before their first home or away game, discussing with their mates their hopes and fears for the season ahead, and how they would do with their new signings or without the players that left. By 5pm this afternoon, a feeling of elation or dread will have covered them, some feeling it is all over already, and others believing they will win the league.
One of the great things about football, is that it will have all changed by this time next week, and again by the week after. The roller coaster ride that is the life of the football fan begins today or next week and ends in May (maybe earlier, I know) after 10 months of trials and tribulations, sending off's that were or weren't justified, goals allowed that shouldn't have been and disallowed ones that should, as well as players coming and going after falling out with their teamates and/or managers.

Then there is the gossip. The only thing Sunday tabloid papers are good for reading is the back few pages. Who'll go where for how much and who'll never play for their club again after being dropped to the bench. Who's banging someone else's wife (or wives) in a posh hotel and the impact this will have the next time they both go in for a 50/50 ball on the pitch. Most of it is utter rubbish, but I am hooked.

And I can do the crosswords without using every available 'Oxford' book on my shelves.

For the record, I will be watching Altrincham FC, my local non league team, and going through all the emotions that every football fan will go through over the next 10 months. And loving EVERY minute of it.

So, however your team went on today, I have something that is guaranteed to make you feel better.

Click here, turn the volume up and just let this ride over you. I promise you it will feel better. This isn't the best version of the song, but the best I can find online, so I hope you enjoy it.

Had an interesting evening on the tables last night, went back to Inter for a spell and finished 40$ up. Headed for a 5£ SNG which I won, so about 75$ profit and maybe the corner has been turned here.
CD Poker saw me increase my increasing bankroll by another 50$ so pretty happy with the way things are going at CD, long may it continue.

Just remembered that I never told my funny story from last weekend, so please come back tomorrow for that!

3 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, Blogger Littleacornman said...

English instead of "proper"!

What kind of following do Altrincham get?

I follow my local team ( East Kilbride Thistle fc) in the non-league equivalent, the Scottish Junior league, and we get about 50-100.

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger MiasDaddy said...

:-)

Alty got about 500-800 for a home game last season. This depends on opponents, weather and all the other factors that prevent regular attendance!

Gers top of the league already?

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Littleacornman said...

500-800 are the kind of crowds the top Junior sides in my area get.We've just been promoted ( up to £4 entry!) so hopefully more of the EK public will turn out this season.

Gers will be top when it counts in May!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home