Wednesday, June 21, 2006

What to Do?

Very strange day today, was my final interview for a very big job, and I am one of two candidates left. The other guy has much more experience than me, but apparantly isn't a very good people's person, which is one of my strenghts. Over the years I have learnt that you get more done by being nice to people, rather than slamming your fists on the desk and demanding it be done 'now, right now!!'

My job involves a lot of people management, and getting the most and the best out of them involves being respectful and endearing yourself to people, rather than aggressively demanding. I find I get 110% out of people because they respect me too, rather than them doing what I ask out of fear.
So we will see how things go, but I think I did really well, and it's now up to someone else to make the decision.

Driving home, I got to just around the corner from where I live and pulled up at a queue of cars at a junction. Sat almost right next to me, on a wall, was a girl crying. I had to look twice to make sure she wasn't laughing, with a phone pressed to her ear. But she was clearly crying and shaking, with a tissue pressed to her cheek.
I know most of the kids in my immediate neighbourhood, having played football, cricket or just waterfights with them on the street or at BBQ's or just having a mess about, but I didn't recognise this girl at all. I'd say she was about 13, but doing some voluntary work with kids, it is very hard these days to put kids at an age. (As a friend will testify, who came very close to bedding a 21 year old he met at a night club, only to find out she was still 14. Fortunately he found out in time.)

What do you do in these cases? Had it been a child I knew, I would have stopped the car where it stood without hesitation and took them home. I didn't know this girl and wondered how she might take it if a stranger pulled over and asked if she was OK and offered his mobile phone if she needed to call someone. Already hysterical, would I make it worse, or would the dumped boyfriend be around the corner ready to take his frustration out on me? What if another driver also stopped as he thought 'a single bloke in his car stopping to grab a young girl' All these thing crossed my mind of why I shouldn't stop and check she was OK.

And you know what? I didn't stop. I drove home and did nothing. I hope the poor girl was OK, and it was nothing more than a falling out with a friend, or an argument with her mum. But I can't help feeling how bad society has become today, when there are more reasons to drive away, than to check a fellow member of the human race needs a hand. And I still feel bad about it.

So got home, played with Mia, cooked Cathy and I one of my famous Chilli's, then heard that a friend's child had been poorly and wanted to do something to help, but really there is nothing but a little time that will help. And a mothers loving care of course, which I know the little one will get.

So I'm off to the tables where I hope my mood will improve as well as my pot balance :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home