Saturday, June 24, 2006

Cash Game or SNG?

Before I move on to the main topic of conversation, I must pause and blow my own trumpet for a minute. Never have I seen anything like this before, such a momentous occurance, so I must tell the world.

Is it that I managed to lose my connection just as a SNG was about to start, and manage to finish 3rd without playing a hand (thanks to Rosie)? Oh no, much better than that.

I sit down in a 5£ SNG and am the BB for the second hand. I check with K9.
Flop is K x x, so I bet 75 chips and get 1 caller. turn is another K, so I bet half my stack, again he calls. River is an 8. I move all in and my opponent calls and turns over K8. Doh! I'm left with 30 chips.

Damn. Not the best start, a bit unlucky, but there you go these things happen. Few hands later get dealt 22 and think, ah well, not much more to lose and push all my chips in. 6 or 7 callers see a flop of 2 x x (can't remember the other cards, just the 2!) and I take a side pot of about 230 chips. From here on, the next few hands took me on a run on dream proportions. Firstly my all-in with KQ had a caller who lost with low pair to a K on the flop, then my AKs got a caller of A9s and I doubled up without either of us hitting, then my pocket 10's were called by AQ for me to double up again. Just when I thought, I can get in the money here, dealt AA and an opponent before me moves all in with his 750 or so chips! I have about 1700 now, so push them all in and get another caller. My aces stand up and now I'm over 4000 chips.

The stuff of dreams. A bit like scoring the winning goal in the world cup final, I think. I go on and win the tourny to many congrats from my opponents. I accepted their comments with humility and graciousness, but to be fair, the run of cards I had did not require a difficult decision making process. Can anyone beat this, down to 30 chips and winning?

Just a small point to make on the payments of these £ SNG, rather than the $ ones. If you play an Inter £5 plus 60p SNG, you are debited with 10.15$ from your account at Inter's rate of exchange. I placed 2nd in mine and noticed that they only credited my account with 26$ (£15 prize at the same rate of exchange would be almost 30$). A little naughty I think and have e-mailed them for an explanation. I've placed in 5 SNG in the last few days so this would amount to about 20$ had the same rate of exchange been used. Hmmmmmm.

Been playing a lot of SNG's lately and went on a run of 4 £5 tournies placing in only one (3rd), as I only got 17$ back from an outlay of 41$ left me down. Playing on a 50$ buy in and leaving after losing 30$ to pocket 9's taking my aces down - and my Inter challenge had taken a bashing and was down to $299. OK, still good I know but 74$ down from the peak.
And I was thinking I've been playing too many SNG and not enough cash games. I used to see SNG's as a good distraction if you like, and the banter with Acorn, Rosie et al makes it enjoyable, but I don't think I'm gonna hit my 1000$ challenge playing SNG's all the time. Or am I?

Maybe if I could multi table SNG's (with an average time of 30mins at Inter) I could play 4 an hour. If I could emulate Acorn's recent run of placing 8 out of 10 times, this would return a healthy profit around the 70$ mark. Can I earn 70$ on a cash table for 2 hours? Not very often at all. Maybe more thought needs to be given to these.....

On a more positive note, hit a £1 limit table this morning whilst playing a couple of SNG (bubble boy in one and won the other) and quit £20 ahead, so my Inter account has recovered to 355$. I have set myself the target of breaking 400$ tonight.

We're off to the park shortly, then Cathy is going out this evening so once I've fed and put Mia to bed, it's a poker and footy night. Looking forward to a couple of the games today, as the world cup hits the real business stages. Don't want to think too much about England's game tomorrow, I think they'll win it, but don't have any confidence in them going any further.

So, to be or not to be, SNG or cash game, that is the question.

1 Comments:

At 1:23 PM, Blogger Littleacornman said...

I remember coming back from 29 chips once ;-)

Good work on the bankroll btw!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home