Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Feeling Flush

Good evening readers, hope this finds you well and enjoying your poker and life in general.
Tonight's blog is about a hand I played last night, and I'm interested in your thoughts and critisicms on where I may have gone wrong.

Playing a 50c NL table at Party Poker (how brutal is that place?)
On the big blind I'm dealt Kh 9h, 5 players in the hand, couple of folds then a player raises to 2$, one caller, rest fold to me.

What do I do here? K9 suited is not the best hand I know, but nor is it the worst. I have 50c in the BB, and there's already 5$ in the pot, so decide to call another 1.50$. Was this my mistake?

Flop is Ah, Qh, 10h
Talk about dream flops, not only the nut flush but also one card off the Royal (unlikely, I know).

First to act, I decide to check (another mistake?) feeling that if I can get the raiser to bet, I re-raise and he can't call with those cards on the table, surely?

Our pre-flop raiser bets 10$, other player folds to me. What's your move here? What did I put him on - surely not AA with only a 2$ raise, maybe AK or even AQ, which means he's hit his two pair. I see only one bet to scare him away (and I do have the nuts on the flop) - All In with my 46$ remaining. Mistake number 3 maybe?

He calls instantly and turns over QQ. Uh oh, I think, my luck has not been very good these last few days, he has 7 outs to win (or 10 if the turn doesn't hit) - good call on his part?

Anyway, the turn shows a 10 and I close my laptop in dispair. I'm not sure there's anything I could have done to prevent this? If I called his bet on the flop, could I have folded after seeing the 10 with a nut flush?
I've closed my Party Poker account and moved the reamining 60$ to Poker Stars where I am playing as I write this. An expensive (110$) few days play and been on the wrong end of some miraculous bad beats - but am still pretty optimistic about my play. My poker account still shows about 500$ after Cathy took a big chunk out to get the loft done - so a bad week in the grand scheme of things, is only a bad week and the year still shows a healthy profit.

Today was a bit of a washout as well, Mia loved her splashing around in the pool for an hour, before I brought her back home and fed her eggs and toast, just as the rain started to come down, scuppering the plan for our trip to Dunham Park. Cycle trek has been rearranged for tomorrow night as well, though the forecast is not good for then either.

Cathy has gone out for the evening so I'm sat with a cold beer, watching the footy and playing poker (currently running at 40$ up) - ain't life great!?

Remember that positive mental attitude!

1 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Blogger Littleacornman said...

At a full ring table I'd probably fold to the preflop raise unless the raiser was very loose and had been raising a lot or he was a min raiser post flop.

After your call you got unlucky.Why would you want to scare him away on the flop?I'd maybe have made a small post flop bet to try and look weak but my objective would have been to tempt him into a bigger bet.Either way I'd be delighted to be all in post flop.

Sounds like your back on track already though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home