Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Sing-a-longa-time!

OK everyone, after me: if you're happy and you know it clap your hands...... etc etc. Come on, Mia can do it - why not you lot?

Heh heh, in the mood for a sing song today, thanks to Juice's post (link to the right). I loved that website and found loads of songs I'd not heard for a long time, as well as some terrible ones. So, as I did a favourite film post, it's time for a favourite song one.

This is much harder, as at different stages of my life, I've loved different types of music/songs. In my early childhood, I was a big Shakin Stevens fan (can't believe I'm telling you this!!) and knew all the wobbly leg dances. Then, in a big shift, my teenage years saw my tastes develop to Miles Davies, Bobby Womack and other soul/jazz from the early 80's, late 70's period. Then I discovered Counting Crows and Radiohead have been a big fan of both since.

So a top five would probably change a lot, but for now, I'll agree on the following in no particular order:

Marvin Gaye - When Did You Stop Loving Me
Anyone who has loved and lost will relate to this, amazing lyrics and a fanstastic song. The album cover is a piece of art in itself, showing the breakdown of his marraige to Anna.

George Benson - Being With You
This has a personal meaning to me, a beautiful instrumental and if I ever get married to Cathy, this will be the song we dance to.

Ben Folds - Landed
A very new addition, so not sure if this will stand the test of time - but for me one of the best new songs I heard last year

Radiohead - Street Spirit
Hard to pick the best of theirs as I have so many. Creep was always a favourite, but I think the video to the above track sealed it.

Counting Crows - Baby I'm a Big Star Now
Again, hard to pick a favoruite song as they have so many I like. The above has great rarity value, but there are many more.

Finally, I have to mention The Blue Nile, a little known Scottish band from (Acorn Man's stomping ground. 20 years after buying their first album, I still listen to them with the same tingles as when I first heard them. 'Downtown Lights' is the most amazing song I have ever heard, and to still feel the same way 20 years on must make it my favourite.

Anyway, enough about me, how's the poker? Had a very good night at Poker Room. Started off by winning a 10$ SNG thanks to some appalling play by my opponents. Then played in a 40 seater 4$ SNG at Pacific and came in 2nd despite having only 200 chips left when down to the last 10. Again, have to credit poor play by my opponents rather than my great play. Hell no, I was fantastic!!

Hit the cash tables at Poker Room, 25c and 50c Pot Limit tables - which are very fruitful for me. Maybe worth a little discussion on, as most blog's I read talk about NL or Limit and this bit gets missed out.

Who plays Pot Limit? I think it is used as a stepping stone for players who play Limit and want to progress to NL, so play a bit of PL to ease them in. The standard at Poker Room is pretty poor. Generally your opponents will call with suited cards of any number, and call any size bet.
This can be very fruitful, but obviously they will occasionally hit and that can be frustrating. Keep good notes and watch your opponents closely and their playing patterns will become quite apparent and you can play them accordingly. They also rarely fold any Ace or pocket pairs, and I've had my two pair cracked by a set on the river, despite him/her having an under-pair to the board.

So far this week, I have limited my play to Poker Room and Pacific - Poker Room is showing a 240$ profit, mostly from the PL tables. Pacific is about even, but this place is so slow, and also my programme doesn't seem to run properly if I have Poker Room open at the same time. Not sure if this is a system problem at my end - or they deliberately do this?

Finally, as a Hand History of bad beats are always published - how about this for a dream hand:

I'm on the big blind, dealt 10 8 suited - one of my favourites! One raise before me to double the BB, so I call, 4 more call so 5 of us in the hand.

Flop is 7 9 J rainbow. Yippeeee!!

I bet 2$, played 2 folds, player 3 raises to 5$ and player 4 goes all in with his 15$. Last player folds, I call and next player calls. Turn is a 2 (fantastic again) so I move all in and remaining player calls.
I turn over my str8, player 3 turns over pocket 9's and player 4 AJ. River is a 4 and my str8 stands up for a 86$ pot :)

Sing alonga time again: If you're happy and you know it stamp your feet...........

2 Comments:

At 12:48 AM, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Shakin Stevens eh? That's the most shocking thing I've ever read in a blog ;-)

( My sister loved him and I was dragged along to two concerts...)

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger MiasDaddy said...

don't know what they're doing but they're laughing a lot, behind the green door

And don't get me started on This Old House :-)

It's a classic I tell ya!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home