Tuesday, May 23, 2006

I'm in Charge Here Mr!

Always remember the Sigmund Curve. When you're on an upward spiral, you get to a point where you can't keep going any higher, and the inevitable happens. Think of the 100m runner. Surely they must get to a point soon where it is physically impossible for a human being to run any faster.

Lady luck reminded me of this in 2 ways, and exactly who is in charge of my poker life last night.

Headed to Poker Stars and sat down at a 1$ NL table and transferred 40$ of my remaining 100$. Watched a few hands and instantly noticed the table's calling station and compulsive raiser, and other players seemed to have noticed also. He had re-loaded twice before I played a hand.
After a few hands of nothing, it was folded to me and my A 10s. Only the SB and BB to play so raised to 5$. SB folds and our calling station is on the BB and he calls.
Flop is a rainbow A 10 8. I put in a 10$ bet which is instantly called. Turn is a 2, so I go all in with my remaining 25$, which our friend calls. He turns over Q 8 and the river turns an 8.
Just to make me feel worse, another player then commented on the fact he had folded A 8 - so there was only one 8 left in the deck. Expensive bit of misfortune.

So I reload 40$ and sit back down. A few hands later, dealt AK and all fold to my 5$ raise, except our friend above. Flop is A 10 7 - so I bet 10$, which is called. Turn shows a 5 - so I move all in, again our firend calls instantly and turns over Q 10.
Uh oh, been here before methinks, and sure enough, the river throws him his 10 to take the pot.
Feeling incredibly depressed, checked my account to find it down to 11$. Went to see if there was a tourny I could play, but there were only SNG's so I signed up to 10+1, thus emptying my account. Fortunately, I won it - so my account is back up to 45$, so I shut up for the night. Logged on this morning for a quick session, and came second in another 10+1 so have built my stack back up to 75$.

Ultimate is still proving very fruitful, so I cashed out my initial investment of 180$ and still show $120 in the account - hope I don't hit the 'cash-out' curse now I've done that! Sticking to the 50c and 1$ limit tables, and seem to be playing well. Did try a NL game but didn't hit the same, so will stay at the limit games until they stop being so fruitful.

Luck also hit me hard in my work life. The company I work for has been making redundancies due to poor results in their retail shops. Depsite the call centre I run being 67% up on last year, it wasn't enough and we are being closed down with the inevitable consequences. Fortunately, I put a 3-month notice period in my contract, so I have 3 months to find a new job. Playing with the idea of setting up my own business, as I have a few good accounts that will follow me - but with a young family to support, not sure how long I will last without regular money coming in. Have put the feelers out, so fingers crossed for me please.

Spent the afternoon with Mia in the park and up to the post office to send out a few CV's and it was good to take my mind off things for a few hours. The weather was kind and bright sunshine seemed to follow us around as Mia threw herself into her latest hobby - collecting twigs, sticks and leaves. Aren't little girls supposed to do tea parties with their dollys?

Time to get the tea ready now, so the next time you hit a streak of I-can-do-no-wrong, rememebr that curve goes in two directions!

3 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Blogger Rosie said...

Fingers and toes crossed!

You could always give up and become a full time poker pro?

Come and have a game with me at Laddies soon? Will be nice to see you

 
At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home