Thursday, June 01, 2006

AK/AQ v Ax

It's getting bad out there guys. I can't remember seeing so many big hands together, so often.
Not whining, just making an observation. Maybe I watch the hands more often than I used to. In the last two days, I've seen so many AA v KK, QQ v KK etc confrontations - fortunately, most of them haven't involved me so I'm still singing.

Anyway, on to the topic of my blog. This weeks poker is running about even, was down about 100$ at one point, but have managed to claw it back to level. And, after reading my hand history, I can put most of my losses down to two hands. AK and AQ (sooted or otherwise). So, time to think this one out as most of the losses are when I flop top pair with them.

My trouble is, they keep losing to A5 or other such weaker hands with alarming regularity. How does that work? Lee Jones describes the flop of A 7 2 'your flop and bet at it accordingly' when holding AK or AQ. So why do I keep running into A7 or A2? Yes, I know why, because people play A2 and A7 like I play AK or AQ.

What I want to do is not moan about it - but learn how I can play it better and not lose more than I have to.

So, you raise with AK / AQ and hit an A on the flop along with two low cards - how do you get away from it? Assuming there is no obvious flush or str8 draw, you bet it hard and get a caller. Do you then slow down, or keep betting it hard with the belief that you have the best hand? I know it's gonna be hard to get away from it, especially if your opponent doesn't re-raise. (A flop of A J 7 lost me a few $ last night, and my opponent never raised with his A7 - afterwards, he said he was worried about AJ). The fish never like to fold an Ace with any kicker, so it's hard to put them on something.

Later on, a couple of players comment on me checking the river with AK and A on the flop as one guy kept calling my bets (at PL level). I was nervous that a player stayed in, and he turned over pocket K's so I won, and my reply was I was worried about 2 pair.

So, for now, I keep playing them strong and try not to be afraid of the monsters under the bed, but interested in your thoughts / comments if you have any advice.

Incidentally, I saw a hand in a SNG last night where 4 players were dealt AA, KK, QQ, JJ (AA won) , which I've never seen before, and I was happy as 3 got knocked out in one go :-)


Toodle Pip all.

Footnote:
Oops, just had a monster hand - my A6s call (to no raise) saw a flop of A K 6 and there was a lot of betting and raising between me and one other player. River see's a 6 and I hit full house to his AK - guess it works both ways :-)

Balance now +70$ for the week, looks like Mia will get clean nappies this week after all.

6 Comments:

At 1:37 PM, Blogger Rosie said...

I don't know what to do about those A raggers either..
But you and I both know (since we've made profit this year) that we, and our chioce of hands will prevail. These people probably have to fund their bankrolls every day out of our pockets whilst we merrily spend their money on ourselves.

As for soaps, btw, women watch them because they are seeking anti- reality. We KNOW they're not real

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger MiasDaddy said...

good point Rosie, happy with my play overall, and I guess they must stand up more often than not, it's just natural for many poker players to remember the losing hands more often than the winning!

Anti-reality huh, i'm gonna think on that.

:-)

 
At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

 
At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»

 
At 11:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find some information here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home