Monday, May 22, 2006

It's A Grand Life If You Don't Weaken

My Grandad always used to say that to us right up to his last days. He's been gone for about 12 years now, but I found myself remembering this last night as I sat at a poker table.

My Poker Stars account had peaked over the 300$ mark, before slipping back to about $280 - so I decided to cash out 180$ back to my account, a healthy profit from my short time there. They were running a 1billionth hand promo - and on 3 occasions, I was less than 10 hands away from winning a few grand (one hand ended 00002 and one 00004 - how close!!), but alas, you get nowt for being close in this life :-(

Having an incredible run at Ultimate Bet. Not sure if my refocusing and re-reading of my poker books are working, or I'm more sensitive to what other people might be holding after my bad week recently. I'm only hitting the 50c and 1$ limit tables but am returning a healthy profit as well as enjoying my play. Account currently at $294 (from a 180$ start) so will try the NL / PL games there and see if my play is good enough at that level.

Anyway, back to the point, the reason for the blog was after a discussion with Cathy last night, after I had cashed-out from Poker Stars. She said 'So what's made the difference this year, you never used to cash out this much?' And it got me thinking, just what has made the difference?

Last year, was my first year of playing and cash out's were very rare. This year I've cashed out quite a lot, paying for a bit around the house, which has pleased Cathy no end. So what am I doing now that I wasn't last year?

Well, I've read a fewpoker books, so I've picked up some useful information from Lee Jones et al.
If I'm playing someone who looks very good, I leave and find someone crap!
I have a huge amount of 'hand experience' and seen many things as I play more hands
I've learnt how to win pots with nothing, and to fold very good hands when I know I'm beat
Sometimes I have to play the players, not the cards
Raise more!
Knowing which hands not to call raises with - 'But they were suited.....' Yes I used to be a newbie once!
Think more about what your opponent might have, if he calls your big raise, or re-raises
Stepping up from Limit to NL/PL
Playing with and against some good players, and trying to learn from them and what they do
Improved my knowledge of odds (pot, implied etc)
Don't give free cards! If I have a hand, I bet it!
Take an incredible amount of notes on opposition players - this has come in soooooo handy in future games
And, the most important, I fish where the fish are biting!

These are just a few off the top of my head, maybe you could add a few more if you thought about it longer. Think my Grandad might have been on to something.

Happy Poker-ing all :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home