Thursday, May 31, 2007

Never Never Never


The more romantic of you guys will know the above headline is a Julio Iglesias song.

Come on, I know you guys, under that tough exterior you like to portray on the poker tables, there’s a little bit of Julio in you.

The lyrics went along the lines of:


‘You treat me wrong, you treat me right
You let me be, you make me fight with you
You make me high, you bring me down
You set me free, you hold me bound to you
I hate you, then I love you
then I hate you, then I love you more
For whatever you do, I never want to be in love, with anyone but you’


And on it goes. Quite a nice song actually, in a late night, smootchie, grab your girly kind of way. But before I perforate your eardrums with more of this luuuuuurrrrrrrvvvvveeeee music (Luther Vandross does it so much better, anyway), this is actually a poker post.

What drives us to play this game?
The highs?
The lows?
The realisation that the two are actually the same thing, or at least one doing an impression of the other?
The addiction?
Or it is just because it makes us feel exactly like the lyrics above.

We all love the game - that much is obvious. We spend enough time playing it, talking about and even writing it down on virtual paper for the world to see. This love hate relationship I have with poker could fill the columns of any gossip magazine in ways that Brad Pitt and Angelia Jolie would struggle to compete with.

It treats me wrong (KK losing to KJ)
It treats me right (88 taking out 10 10)
It lets me be (AA wins over KK)
It makes me fight with it (AA loses over KK)
It sets me free (How the f**k do you call that, you idiot!)
It holds me bound (I have AA and 5 players have called my raise)
I hate it (Why do you let these fish play?)
I love it? (Why do you not let more of these fish play?)

But whatever you do, I never want to be in love, with anyone but you (AA stood against 5 players and won me a 100$ pot!!)

What a game!

5 Comments:

At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fits in perfectly!

A beautiful win with the AA mate...... SHIP IT!

I think I pretty much aggree with every comments next to the lyrics!

I love to hate this bloody game!!

especially online.... ;o)

BM

 
At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What drives us to play this game? From my perspective, it's the desire to crush the juice out of Juice, and impoverish him so much that he's forced to work evenings at my gentlemens' club.

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Swifty said...

Nice entry!

I think it's the adrenaline of winning, whether it be a pot or a S&G.

Hands up those who sleep better with a decent night's poker to lie back and think about (in the absence of any alternative ;))?

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Nick said...

Poker is an emotional rollercoaster, and that is what makes it so bloody fantastic.
The bad runs make the good runs feel so sweet.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger dD said...

rotfl !!

excellent :)

regards

dD

 

Post a Comment

<< Home