Monday, June 11, 2007

Another Bridesmaid

2nd again
Heads up with Amatay again
Rivered 5 or 6 times, again
(he has some kind of hex on me!)
Final hand, 67% favourite pre flop, but twas not to be

Ces’t la vie, again

On another note – was it just me, or was A 10 shown sooooo many times last night? :-)

Was kind of expecting this, Poker Stars had not been playing nicely (as I say to Mia). I had Amatay a few times but he rivered a K against my 88, rivered a str8 against my TPTK to name a few – but he played his hands well, and I can only say well done on being the first back-to-back winner since the tourney began. This game is as much about luck as it is skill (well, at Joker Stars it’s mainly luck!) and I’ve been in his position before, so congrats again on the win.

Headed over to the cash tables in a pretty bad frame of mind after the day, and should have shut the laptop down and gone to bed. But no, I chased those ghosts and hit some incredible beats.
Ad Kd v my 22 – flop came 2 x x (2 diamonds) so I bet 3 x pot. He called, turn x – so I put him all in for another 50 or so $’s. He calls. Despite this poor call, he rivers his flush and I reload. Few hands later, I get 77 and raise it up about 5 x bb. One caller, flop has 2 colours with a 7 – This time, I push all in, totally eradicating any possible call for the flush. But no, he calls, turns over 2 of the same colour and again rivers his miracle card. Believe it or not, this happened twice more so I was not best pleased, to put it lightly. I behaved like a 3 year old and had a sulk.

Then, I emptied my Poker Stars account of all but 24$, enough for the next 4 Blogger tournies, and (in true 3 year old style) am seriously thinking of giving up online poker. Been thinking this for a while, tbh – this isn’t a knee jerk reaction to one days play. Just getting fed up with the most ridiculous events that seem to happen on a daily basis.
‘Flopping a set is like gold dust’ so Mr Harrington says in is book. He’s obviously not played online poker at this level before, as my Poker Office shows that if I get called to the river when holding a set, I lose about 42%. Hardly gold dust. And, for the record, I never slow play a set, because of the reasons above, unless a very scary board and a caller.

So, it’s time for a break from the game, and what I plan to do is withdraw what I have online, and play a few more live games. I’ve seen a few statistically unlikely cards in live games, for sure, but nowhere near the number of times I’m seeing at the moment.

Probably shouldn’t be posting in this frame of mind, but the break is definitely on, and apart from the Blogger Tourny, I do not intend to play any online poker for the remainder of the month. I’m going to read a few more poker books, re-read the books I have already and see where I’m going wrong. This year has been a bad one for me, and although I have clawed things back these last 2 months, I’m now back in a minus for the year and I don’t want to lose control.

I’ll keep posting and certainly keep reading the links to the right, amongst others. Who knows, after a week I may find I am back at the tables like a junkie wanting his fix – who knows?

11 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Blogger Amatay said...

75%???? lol. are you kidding me?? flop came jxx u bet 4000 and i moved in wth qj and u called about another 4k with AK high. Well played for a second consectutive week, anyways.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger MiasDaddy said...

sorry mate, didn't word that too right looking back. I meant to say pre flop I was favourite, but that is 67% rather than 75 - just edited!

Cheers,
M.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Amatay said...

Yeah ur right, im just messing m8. vwp for another gd finish. Hopefully c u heads oop next wk. ATM.

Simon

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger dD said...

lol !!

what do u expect against that cardrack !!

"c u headsup next week" ....

pride and fall spring to mind :))

regards

dD

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger dD said...

wish i had some good advice, but chin up anyways.

yours are the reasons that i gave up on nlhe and now only "seriously" play horse and plo8.

wanna come come swim in my pond ?

regards

dD

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger dD said...

"was it just me, or was A 10 shown ... "

LMFAO !!

its the new hammer baby ... :))

regards

dD

btw I played it and showed it at every opportunity ... sooooo funny ... but hey, I have a sense of humour :)

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Nick said...

I tell you what Mark - the tournie was going great for me until you sat next to me.
I will admit it- you truly
PWNED me last night.
Finally made a stand with A9 - to run into your AA.
GG - and maybe you're trying to wrestle the bridesmaids tag from me???

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger MiasDaddy said...

Thanks Cloud - I have wrestled a few bridesmaids in my time.....
I actually had a run of hands I raised with consecutively, AJ, 6 4 (shown), 7 3 (shown), then KK so I was hoping someone might think I was bluffing when I 3 x bb raised :-)

Cheers dD - fed up with NLHE, may try PLO8 - but don't know how to play it. Maybe you could be my mentor if I come over to the dark side?

I like that A 10 'the new hammer'!! 72 is soooooo last year!

You're cheering me up already!!
M.

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger TanOrpheus said...

Congrats on your second place. With the cash games it strikes me that the way you play may be suited to Headsup more than 6-max or full ring. You like getting ALL your money in when you're ahead at all, so HU games would be a better spot to do this. Maybe worth a try m8.

 
At 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He can't do heads up mate... he always finishes second!!!! LOOOOOOOOOL ;o)

couldn't resist that was wide open!!

Yeah, you are consotently good in the bloggerment and although you seem to be running bad I am sure it will pick up. Maybe try SnG's for a while, but don't move to the dfark-side! It's even worse! The swings are much wilder and the beats a lot worse! hehehe. dD is trying to make some easy money from you I can tell! ;o)

TBH though, I think maybe setting yourself a new challenge might be the way to move forward, look at what cloud has been doing, or maybe what Amatay is on with, there are lots of little ways to give yourself a new lease of life.

I really hope you get the passion for the game back mate.

ATB

BM

p.s. why don't we all spend a little time trying to qualify for the Carribean through the freerolls on Will Hills?? Just a thought!

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger The 80th Minute said...

I always try to avoid playing of some serious bad beats in tourney play.

You know that your mind is not actually set for playing poker but is more focussed to chasing your losses. But I can imagine you going tilt after then again such a painful numbers of bad beats.

I think/hope that the reason why we see more bad beats online it that on average we play 30 hands per hour live while online this can increase to over 100.

Is there a blogger tour? Where can I find more about this?

Cheers and don’t loose the faith,
Dremeber

 

Post a Comment

<< Home